How Career Fairs Worked for Me

DHall

by Don Hall

My name is Don; I am a sophomore here at UIS, majoring in Accountancy and minoring in Management Information Systems.

I was working as a volunteer for the Career Fair, so I had an opportunity to talk to the employers while helping them setup. My major and minor are great combinations, but as a sophomore I do not expect to get credit for internships until I reach my junior and senior year of college, so I was using the fair as a way to introduce myself to the employers but also talk to them to get information on the qualifications I would need to get an accounting internship.

While talking to Cameron, Smith & Company at the Career Fair I was able to discuss the opportunities they offered and was given an internship to help them as a tax assembler intern. This internship is important because regulation is one of the four exams to be a Certified Public Accountant which requires knowledge of taxation.  I am going to be able to get firsthand experience with understanding and applying this knowledge with the internship.

As a fellow student, I would encourage at least going to the career fair to talk to the employers that come. My interpersonal skills helped me with a lot with getting this internship because I came dressed to impress but I did not have networking cards, resumes, or cover letters ready to give the employers as I walked around. So I would also suggest to fellow students that if you are preparing to go to the Career Fair to prepare by:

• Having an overall resume that shows your different skills but to also have a resume handy for opportunities that you’re seeking in my case I should have a resume for accounting. This makes it easier to discuss what qualifications you and the ones you should work towards.
  • Having a cover letter that will reintroduce you to the employer or networking cards that will have contact information on it.

Lastly I would definitely recommend going to the Career Center for help with preparing your resume, cover letter, and networking cards they have the resources and knowledge to help you with preparing for the fair.