The Internet has perpetuated the age old problem of plagiarism. Turnitin can assist faculty in detecting and preventing plagiarism. It is also an excellent assignment collection, grading, and feedback tool, and can be used as an online collaborative learning tool where students can get feedback from their classmates.
The Turnitin database includes:
- Over 10 Billion Web Pages Crawled & Archived
- Over 70 Million Student Papers
- Over 10,000 Major Newspapers, Magazines & Scholarly Journals
- Thousands Of Books Including Literary Classics
- Printable Reports
- Side-By-Side Comparison
Turnitin provides the ability for faculty to:
- Quickly and conveniently identify how much material in a student’s paper is available on the Internet.
- Deter students who may otherwise be tempted to use sources inappropriately.
- Address the issue of proper citation of sources in a paper.
- Pick up tips for writing assignments that discourage plagiarism and encourage independent thought.
- Find handouts for students on plagiarism, proper citation, and writing and research skills
Ideas for Using Turnitin
- Peer-to-Peer Paper Review’s
- Electronic Writing Portfolio’s
- Online Commenting
- Multiple Rubric Grading
How to Access
Turnitin is an available tool within Blackboard. The ‘Turnitin Assignments’ link can be found under the Course Tools section of the Control Panel. If that link is not there, you will need to add the Turnitin tool to your course by clicking on ‘Tool Availability’ under the Customization section of the Control Panel.