Because ITS subscribes to Google Apps, we have a plethora of free Google tools at our disposal that we can use to enhance online education and research. The best part is that everyone with a UIS NetID has access to all that Google has to offer, without having to register for a new account! One of these tools is Google Sites.
There are a variety of ways that you can use Google Sites right now in your online classes, or for professional development or research purposes: You can use Google Sites to create an e-portfolio, to showcase your CV, or even as a more accessible alternative to PowerPoint.
To get started, just sign in to Google Apps for Education:
- Go to http://go.uis.edu/google.
- Select Login.
- Sign in with your regular NetID and password.
- Next, click the Apps button at the top of your screen, to the left of your email address. Select Sites.
- Click Create.
- You will now be directed to a page where you will be able to choose different details about your site. First, you may choose a template for your site based on its purpose. To view more templates, choose “Browse the gallery for more,” which will give you the option to choose the best template for your site.
Note: For faculty completing online professional development through COLRS, search for “Online Faculty Development ePortfolio.” Select this as your template.
Or choose “Blank template” to start a site from scratch.
- After selecting a template, you will name your site and complete the URL at which your site will be located.
- There are also two optional menus that can be expanded: Click on “Select a theme” to choose a color scheme for your site, and click on “More options” to enter site categories and a short description of your site. Most people do not change anything here and leave them blank.
- Once you are done choosing your template, naming your site, and typing a short URL, click Create at the top of the page.
- You will now be at the homepage of your site!
What to do next
You are now ready to begin adding content, including additional pages, images, documents, videos, and more!
Google provides quite a bit of documentation on how to manage your site. Please explore the links below for the most up to date information on how to accomplish various tasks within Google Sites:
- Using page and site templates
- Changing your site’s layout
- Changing your site’s appearance
- Adding text and images
- Inserting Google Docs, Calendars, and other gadgets
- Adding and modifying pages within a site
- Adding attachments, comments, and files
- Changing your site’s URL
- Controlling access to your site
- Search options and special administrative actions
- Subscriptions and notifications
- Deleting a Google Site
We are always available to assist you in brainstorming ideas on how you might implement Google Sites in your courses, or to help you set up a Google Site before a big presentation at a conference. We can also provide guidance with the Online Faculty Development ePortfolio template.
If you need additional tech support, contact ITS at 206-6000, or firstname.lastname@example.org.