Remote Teaching Tip: Authentic Assessment
Authentic assessments require students to apply concepts they have learned to real world situations by having them complete meaningful task-based assessments. This type of assessment engages a variety of skills, and measures higher levels of learning than traditional assessments. Authentic assessment helps students practice creative thinking and problem-solving, and allows for multiple paths to demonstrate knowledge.
Most authentic assessments involve complex questions and tasks that do not have straightforward solutions; students must research, brainstorm, practice, draft, and refine solutions in order to complete the assignment.
Examples of authentic assessments you can use in online learning environment include:
- Peer Review
- Problem Based Learning
- Online Journaling
- Interpretation of charts/graphs
- Have students design assessments
- Require answer justification (why is the answer correct?)
- Peer evaluation of reflections/essays
- Experimental interpretation- analysis of research based findings
For more reading on authentic assessment: