Guest accounts cannot be created for Canvas. All users must have a NetID to have access to UIS Canvas.
If an instructor or unit needs to provide access to a person who does not have a NetID, the unit may request an External Affiliate UIN and NetID.
An External Affiliate is typically a person who is not an employee, student, or faculty member that requires a UIN and NetID. This could be a visiting scholar, guest, etc. This is not to be confused with a person requiring only WiFi access, which can be provided by other methods. A new request for an External Affiliate status will typically pertain to three types of people
- A person who has an active NetID on any campus, this implies a UIN has previously been assigned.
- A person who previously had an active NetID and/or UIN on any campus, e.g. a graduate 10 years previous, who is now a guest instructor or vendor.
- A person who has never had a relationship with any University of Illinois campus, a new UIN will be required.
A sponsor will have been assigned to assist the requester before this request is initiated. The sponsor must be a university employee that will assist in the submission of the new request and is the point of contact for any questions during the process. The employment status of of the sponsor will be validated at submission time.
The unit sponsor will complete this External Affiliate request form. This form must be completed on campus or while connect to campus by VPN.
The sponsor will be required to provide this information for the affiliate who needs a NetID:
- First Name (Required by i-Card)
- Last Name (Required by i-Card)
- Date of Birth (Required by i-Card)
- Gender (Required by i-Card)
- Personal email address for the affiliate (Utilized for status notifications or for additional information follow-up)
- University email address of sponsor
- Middle Name
- UIN (If known from current or previous University relationship)
- NetID (If known from current or previous University relationship)
If a NetID and UIN from a current or previous university relationship is entered, this will expedite the approval process. Otherwise, the iCard office will search for a previously utilized UIN/NetID.