My Home Is WHAT???

My thought process for the Relationships project was similar to my thought process for the Remembering Project.  First, I sat down and turned on music to get my thoughts flowing. Then I began to think about what I call home. I made a list of what I thought was home. I did a list for five minutes and I had a reoccurring list of two things: Family and Food. So I did some more brainstorming on family and food. I made a list of what comes to mind when I think about the two subjects, and I did that for another ten minutes. Once those ten minutes were up, I began to start my paper. I thought of a cleaver attention grabber and I was set. I made my attention grabber, “When I think of home its two things that come to mind: Family and food.” I made this my attention grabber because I felt that it explained my whole essay in a whole. Then I had to make choose what I wanted to talk about first, family or food. I chose to talk about family first because I had more to talk about, but I had no clue what to talk about first so I decided to talk about my family having our traditional weekend get-together and me leaving home. Once I got that out the way, I began to talk about the food we have at our get-togethers and then I connected myself leaving the nest and going to sdownloadchool to find a new home to the article by Berger, where he explained his definition of home. I then wrapped up my essay with a reflection of what my home meant to me and how it has helped me to this day.

Some difficulties I encountered with my essay was basically not knowing what to talk about first. I made a list of things I wanted to talk about, but I still did not know how I wanted to structure my paper. I knew the things I wanted to talk about, but I did not know what I wanted to talk about first. I had to decide which topic was more important to me. Once I chose to go with family all my problems were solved and I was finished with my paper with no problem. Also, when I originally did the relationships essay I did not know that we needed to incorporate a quote into the paper, so I left my quote out. When I went to revising my paper, I had a hard time choosing where to input the quote. Once I finally found a quote that I felt suited my paper from the Berger’s article, I had to determine where it fit best. I chose the quote, “Originally home meant the center of the world–not in a geographical, but in an ontological sense” and I chose to put this quote in my second paragraph where I explained my definition of home.Difficulty-road-sign

My research helped me with my paper. When writing my paper and reading the additional readings, I found that I connected with the article by Berger titled The Meaning of Home. I found it easy to connect to this article because it explained that there is no final definition of what home. This explained my essay completely because I don’t have a definition of home I have two words that describe what I think when it comes to home. Moreover, I connected with Berger because he had a way of explaining his way of thinking and I used his form of writing about home to explain my way of thinking for home. I made my definition of what I think about when it comes to home and I explained how my definition evolved, just as he did. For this reason, I feel as though the research portion of the relationships essay helped me format my paper.research_2

When I began to revise my paper, I started with the things that my peers and professor suggested. For example, in my rough draft it stated, “My mother always was the type of person to make sure that when he kids, my download (1)sister and I, were feeling comfortable in the home” I revised it in my draft so that it stated,” My mother was always the type of person to make sure that her kids, my sister and I, were feeling comfortable in the home.” I changed it to say things this way because I felt my original sentence was hard to understand, so I changed it so that it stated “My mother was always the type” which made the sentence flow better. I also changed the sentence in my draft that stated, “My mother would randomly but movies and snacks and we would have a random movie or she would buy graham crackers and marshmallows and Hershey’s chocolate and we would have a s’ mores night” to state, “My mother would host random movie nights with new movies and delicious snacks or she would buy graham crackers and marshmallows and Hershey’s chocolate and we would have a s’ mores night.”  I changed my sentence as this because one of my peer revisers gave me this suggestion since my paper seemed choppy in this state of the paragraph. I feel like the way I ended up revising this sentence made my thought better understood to the audience. In my rough draft my sentence stated,” I realized that she did things like this in order for us to have these memories when we think about going home”, I changed this sentence to say,” I realized that she did things like this in order for us to have memories when we would think about going home when we missed it.” I changed this sentence this way to make it clear that my mother hosted events like this so that my sister and I could have memories about what she did when we were away from home and we missed it. In my essay I did not have a quote embedded so, I added a quote to my second essay so that it went from saying, “Although it was only my mother and sister in the house the sense of comfort I felt while there was what made it home. My mother was always the type of person to make sure that her kids, my sister and I, were feeling comfortable in the home”  to stating, “Although it was only my mother and sister in the house the sense of comfort I felt while there was what made it home. Berger stated in an article, “Originally home meant the center of the world–not in a geographical, but in an ontological sense.”  My mother was always the type of person to make sure that her kids, my sister and I, were feeling comfortable in the home.” After making these few revisions to my paper I felt as though it was better than the rough draft.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.