BUILDING CITIES

Why pick up the heaps of litter? A foot of concrete will most likely cover it anyways. Out of sight, out of mind. Right? That is the observation I seem to be gathering at least as I tour the city of Hangzhou. The city is currently undergoing immaculate development. Older buildings are being razed and bigger ones are being built in replacement. It is impressive to witness. Dozens of cranes swing atop the city’s skyline. Apartments for construction workers lay atop the foundations of fallen rubble. Soon the shipping container apartments will move onto the next job site and the cycle of destroy and rebuild continues. I can’t help but think what this city will look like thirty years from now. I wonder… will I ever revisit to witness its shining glory?

Today we toured Wanxiang’s manufacturing facilities and witnessed wheel bearings being built. Wanxiang provides components for at least two dozen car companies. We also witnessed car batteries being manufactured at one of their headquarter locations. And inside the headquarter location, we learned the fact that Wanxiang plans on funding the development of an entire city. Literally a new city. Will private enterprises be the future governance? The city will house their employees and future headquarters. Employees will have no reason to venture outside Wanxiang’s city as everything will be provided by Wanxiang. Receive your paycheck from Wanxiang, buy your groceries from the store leased by Wanxiang, pay your apartment rent to Wanxiang, and then drive your car manufactured by Wanxiang back to work at Wanxiang. Is anyone else feeling unsettled?

One response to “BUILDING CITIES

1. SAINT PETER DON’T YOU CALL ME ‘CAUSE I CAN’T GO,
    I OWE MY SOUL TO THE COMPANY STORE!!!