Weekends are for the Fam

Upon arrival in Shanghai, the best surprise was waiting for me. After almost six weeks of being away from everything and everyone I know, I was met by some of the nicest people in the world. They also, happen to be, my family. They picked me up from the bus and had a fantastic day planned for me. Upon arrival I was immediately whisked away for a much needed Starbucks. We then perused shops and drank fresh watermelon (it was delicious). After dinner at a Chinese/Japanese fusion restaurant we spent the evening on a boat tour. The cruise took us through Shanghai and provided us with a fantastic view of the city at night, even though it was a little windy and rainy, we still had a beautiful time. It was within those few hours that I really caught a glimpse at what life could be like for me in China. I recognized how blessed I am to not only be in a culture and place so different than my own, but also blessed to share the ties of family with people who are so different and yet so similar to myself.