Voicethread is a Web 2.0 tool for conversations around media — images, documents/powerpoint slides, and videos. Students and faculty can make comments using video (from a web cam), audio (upload audio file or phone in comments), or text (typing).
Ideas for Use
- Interactive lectures
- Student presentations with authentic peer assessment
- Group and personal reflections
How to Access
VoiceThread is free for K-12 educators, but not for higher education. Pricing is based on who needs to create and how often. COLRS purchased a small number of licenses for Voicethread to explore the technology. If you are interested in trying this technology in your class, please experiment with a free account which allows you to create three Voicethreads for free. If you find you use Voicethread heavily, please contact us for a full license.
- See commenting from a student perspective by commenting on this open Voicethread created by COLRS.
- Give your students clear instructions and expectations. Do you prefer students to use video or audio rather than plain text? If so, give them time to plan and purchase equipment.
- Let students know about technology requirements (microphone, phone charges, web cams, picture of themselves).