We spend a lot of time developing materials and courses in Blackboard. ITS performs a daily backup for “gold” and current semester courses, but it is a good idea to backup a course for yourself after major updates to content or grades. You can use the Export or Archive tool to create a backup that can be restored by COLRS should the need arise.
What’s the difference between archiving and exporting a course?
When exporting a course package you select the items from the course that you want to include. Archiving includes all of the user material and data submitted in that course. Each process generates a .zip file that can be imported into Blackboard to restore content. Contact COLRS to have your content restored.
To Archive a Course:
- Go to the Control Panel
- Click on the chevron next to “Packages and Utilities” to expand menu
- Click on “Export/Archive Course”
- Click the “Archive” button
- Choose option to include gradebook, click Submit
To Export a Course:
- Follow steps 1-3 above
- Click the “Export” button
- Choose items to include in Export package
- Wait a few moments, then refresh page
- Right click on Export File, Save As, Click OK