By default, courses for upcoming semesters are set to Unpublished. Instructors can open a course, or make it available, before the start of a term.
Any students enrolled in the course site will not have a Canvas Card for a course on their Dashboard until the instructor “Publishes” the course site.
- Instructors can add other Instructors, TAs or Course Designers to the site and they will be able to access an unpublished course site.
- Instructors cannot message the students through Canvas Inbox if the course site is unpublished.
- Course Announcement emails will not be sent from an unpublished course site
To publish a Canvas course site:
- Go to the course Home Page.
- Under Course Status, click Publish.
- Publishing your course gives your students immediate access to the course site. Note: This is a change from Summer and Fall 2020 course settings.
Once you Publish a Canvas course site, you do not have to publish it again if you add new content. You only have to Publish the site once.
You can Unpublish the course by going to the Home page and clicking Unpublish. This will remove the Dashboard Card link from all student accounts.
To Allow Student Early Access to a Canvas Course
- Go to the Course.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on the Course Details Tab.
- Uncheck the box for “Restrict students from viewing this course before start date.”
- Click Update Course Details.
Note: Once you have graded a student assessment, you can no longer Unpublish the course site.