Instructors can set up a Canvas course for a student with an incomplete grade. If done before the end of the semester, it will ensure continual access to the course. The steps for this process are:
- Add a new section to the course
- Edit the section settings with start/end dates
** Be sure to check the box for “Students can only participate in the course between these dates.” **
- Add student to the section
- Add instructor to the section
- Edit assignment availability dates (if applicable)
Add a New Section to the Course
- In Course Navigation, click on the Settings link.
- Click on the Sections tab.
- In the text field type the name of the new section. We like to use “Incomplete.” Then click on the +Section button to add the section to your course.
Edit Section Dates
- Click on the name of the section to edit the section options.
- Click on Edit Section.
- Enter the start date. The start date is the first day the student will have be able to participate in the course. This can overlap with the course access dates for the regular course term.
- Enter the end date. The end date is the last day the student will be able to participate in the course. UIS allows one year for students to complete courses in which they have an Incomplete grade.
- Check the box for “Students can only participate in the course between these dates.”
The steps after this depend on the start date, end date, and checkbox being set.
- Click ‘Update Section’
Add Student and Instructor to Section
Please contact COLRS to have students added to Incomplete sections.
Edit Assignment Availability Dates (if applicable)
If you have set end dates on the assignments that the student(s) needs to complete, you will need to adjust the dates in order for students to complete them.
- In Course Navigation, click on Assignments.
- In the upper right corner, click on the kebab (vertical 3 dots) button.
- Click on the Edit Assignment Dates link.
- Extend the Available Until dates as needed.
- Click Save.