Online students should regularly check their discussion grades with the rubric scores (if the Blackboard rubric tool is used) and comments. For those students who may not know how to do this, here is a brief review:
The student should Go to “My Grades” and find the week’s discussion. For every graded item in Blackboard, the student will see that the title of the graded item is a hyperlink. The student may click on the hyperlink which will open a page showing all his/her contributions to the week’s discussion, plus any comments left by the instructor. The student will also see an icon to the left of the number grade that looks like this:
If he/she clicks on that grid, a pop up window will open showing the Rubric Detail.
Alternately, the student may go to My Grades, find the week’s discussion and look for the words “View Rubric” –
Clicking there will also open the Rubric Detail page.
When the instructor has written comments in the “Feedback to Students” panel, the student will see a word bubble icon next to his/her grade –
The student may click on the bubble to view the instructor’s comments.
3 Point Blackboard Discussion Rubric (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
20 Point Blackboard Rubric (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
To view and grade Turnitin Assignments:
Watch a video on how to access the Turnitin Assignment Inbox.
- Go to the Blackboard course that contains the Turnitin Assignment.
- Go to Control Panel > Course Tools > Turnitin Assignment
- Click on the Turnitin Assignment you wish to view or grade to go to the inbox for that assignment.
Hint: Here you’ll see a listing of your students. If you don’t see all your students, click on “Roster Sync.”
- Now you have several options:
- To view the originality report (sources that match your student’s paper), click on the colored bar in the Similarity column.
- To grade the assignment click on the bubble icon in the Grade column.
- For more information on originality reports and grading options in Turnitin, please consult the Turnitin Manual for Instructors found here: http://pages.turnitin.com/rs/iparadigms/images/Blackboard_9_Integration_Instructor_Manual.pdf
*If you have set up your forum as a Graded Forum
To grade a forum:
- Click on Discussions in your Course Content Menu or go to the Control Panel > Course Tools > Discussion Board
- Click on the Forum you want to grade
- Click on the “Grade Forum” button
- Click on the chevron next to the Username of the student
- Click on Grade
- Enter Grade at the top of the page
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, click OK
How do I assess individual contributions?
Use technology. Promote the use of tools that capture individual contributions through versioning. Examples of tools provided by UIS:
Implement peer evaluation. Allow group members to evaluation one another and themselves and incorporate this evaluation into the final grades for the group project.
- Google Forms can be used to collect data in a spreadsheet for analysis and grading. View a sample form.
- Asking each student to fill out a worksheet and submit it through the assignments tool in Blackboard is another option. View a sample worksheet.