What can I do in Canvas Inbox?
- Send a message to someone in your course
- Reply to messages from others in your course
- Filter conversations by course or type (read, unread, starred)
- View and reply to assignment submission comments
In the Inbox, you can send a message to one user or multiple users in a course. You course must be published to send messages to currently enrolled students. If students have not yet been added to your course, you can obtain a list of emails for your students in Self-Service and send a message through UIS Webmail.
How do I use Canvas Inbox?
If your recipient list contains more than 100 users, your message will automatically be sent as individual messages to each user. As the sender, you will also be included in the total recipient count.
- Currently you cannot send a single message users in multiple courses. You would need to send one message for each course.
- You can also send a message to yourself, but messages can only be viewed in the Sent messages folder.
- You cannot send messages to users in concluded courses.
Open Canvas Inbox
Open Inbox by click on “Inbox” in the blue menu on the left side of the screen in Canvas.
Create a New Canvas Message
Click on the Compose button (a square icon with a pencil on top). A new Canvas Message box will appear.
Next to Course, click on the Select Course dropdown menu. If you click on Favorite Courses, you should see your currently active courses in the list.
In the “To” line, click on the Address Book graphic to select your recipients. You can select from
- All in the course
- Teachers (once you click on Teacher, you may select either All Teachers or specific teachers)
- Students (once you click on Students, you may select either either All Students or specific students)
To finish your message enter a Subject, type your message, and click the blue Send button.