Kaltura Media is the video management solution at UIS. Faculty and students may upload video from other sources (MS Lync, camcorders or phones) or record web cam and/or screen capture videos through Kaltura Personal Capture. A fantastic feature of Kaltura is the statistics for video use. It will tell you the percentage of your video that each student watch, how many times it was access, and the average view time. Across UIS, the average view time for a video is 7 minutes and 35 seconds, which is on the longer side of the recommended 5-7 minute length for video lectures.
For detailed videos on how to use Kaltura, please see the Kaltura Company’s training videos on Kaltura and Personal Capture.
UIS Kaltura Resources
- Kaltura Status
- Using Personal Capture from ITS covers how to sue the cut and trim tools to edit your video.
- All new videos uploaded to Kaltura will have machine captions created. You have to edit and show the captions to your students before they will be able to see the captions. Learn how to edit and show Captions for Kaltura Videos in Canvas.
- How to Upload Skype for Business (MS Lync) Recordings (PDF) from ITS gives step-by-step instructions for locating recordings and adding them to Kaltura.
- In the post below, you’ll find step-by-step instructions for uploading video to Kaltura.
- Another COLRS blog post covers including Kaltura videos in your Canvas course.
Access and Upload Videos to Kaltura Media
Faculty and students access Kaltura Media through Canvas.
- Go to UIS Canvas.
- Go to a Canvas Course and click on “My Media.”
- Click on “Add New” and then select “Media Upload.”
- Click “Choose a file to upload” and select your file.
- Your video will upload automatically. Depending on the size, this may take a while.
- After your video uploads, edit the name, description, tags (key words), and privacy settings.
- Click “Save” to complete the upload process.
- Follow the steps in this post to add your video a Canvas course.