When you enroll a user in your Blackboard course, please keep these points in mind.
- The official system of record for course rosters is in Enterprise Self-Service. Please always check your roster before enrolling student users.
- Users with the role of Teaching Assistant or Instructor, unless they are officially co-instructors or TAs, should not be enrolled in courses due to FERPA restrictions on sharing of student grades.
To enroll a user in a Blackboard course:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click on Users and Groups, and then Users.
- Click on the “Find Users to Enroll” button.
- Next to Username, type the UIS NetID (not their email address) of the person you wish to enroll.
- If you do not know the NetID of the person you wish to enroll, you will need to look it up. Click the “Browse” button. Search for the person by Last Name, First Name, or Email address. Check the box next to the name of the user, and click Submit.
- If you need to enroll more than one person, separate the NetIDs with a comma only — no spaces. (E.G.: jsmit1,mgarc2,jdoe7)
- If you have requested a guest account for a person who does not have a UIS email address, the e-mail address of the guest is used in the place of the UIS NetID.
- Choose role of user(s): student, instructor, teaching assistant, or course builder are the only functional roles in Blackboard at UIS.
- Instructor and Teaching Assistant allow people to edit your class and view the Grade Center.
- If you have a guest that you’d like to access your course materials but not the Grade Center, please use the role of “student,” as the role of “guest” will not allow them to view the course.
- Click Submit.
If you cannot find the person in Blackboard, s/he may already be enrolled in your course or may not yet have a NetID. Please contact COLRS for help.