It’s the 3rd week of National Cyber Security Awareness Month and this week, we are talking about some ways to keep your machine clean! It’s important to give our computers the TLC and maintenance they need to keep running and being dependable for what we rely on them for!
Beware of viruses and spyware
- Install current anti-virus and firewall protection to protect against viruses and spyware.
- Visit UIS’ webstore for free programs for faculty, staff, and students!
- Remove unnecessary and temporary files to make your machine faster-this can be done easily with a disk cleanup. Run a disk cleanup once a week to remove these files.
- To reduce the amount of spam you receive, you can edit your settings of your mail program, report spam so your email service will recognize it in the future, and remove your email address from appearing on public websites, such as your social networking profiles.
- Avoid emails that seek personal information. They may appear in the form of emails asking you to click a link or share some information.
- Remember to never share or disclose personal information, ensure that a website is secure, and pay attention to the URL.
- File sharing is dangerous and can put your computer at a great risk. Do not participate in using file sharing programs because doing so can put you at risk for unintentionally distributing personal information, viruses, and more.
If you have any questions or simply want to learn more about keeping your computer clean, feel free to contact us, or check out http://www.staysafeonline.org/.